Achtung Cthulhu: Three Kings

| Thursday, 4 July 2013 | |

I haven’t done very much role playing for a good few years now, however I still hold Call of Cthulhu very close to my heart. I used to run it regularly and could still run a game of CoC without referring to the rulebook.. So combining that with more recent interest in Weird War, when I saw Achtung Cthulhu in development from Modiphius it could help but attract my attention. Achtung Cthulhu combines the Cthulhu Mythos with a good dose of pulp World War 2 action. Now, there have been occasional attempts at combining the two genres before (parts of Delta Green did a good job of it), but none of them have produced enough material for an on-going campaign.

Achtung_Cthulhu_-_Three_Kings_-_Cover_coc

Modiphius ran a successful Kickstarter for Achtung Cthulhu a while ago (which I missed), so there there are plenty of things coming along for the range including many books and a range of miniatures.

I recently got my hands on the first two books and I have just finished reading the first one, an introductory scenario called Three Kings.

I really enjoyed reading this scenario and honestly started to consider getting back into running a roleplaying campaign as I think it would be great fun to run!

The plot revolves around an allied special forces team being sent to investigate the goings on in and around a Nazi occupied castle in Czechoslovakia. As one might expect there is a mad scientist and various resistance movements as well as some Mythos mixed in to the plot. 

I have seen it said that this scenario is pretty deadly for a Call of Cthulhu game (A Game of Whit’s), but I think that it all comes down to how the Keeper runs the game (or how stupid your players want to be). I have always found that a creative Keeper can avoid killing characters, still give them a scare when necessary and indeed kill them off if he needs to. Obviously, setting a Call of Cthulhu game in any wartime situation is going to be potentially lethal, so the very nature of this setting is bound to be deadly!

As an introduction to an on-going RPG campaign set against the Weird War background Three Kings does an excellent job. Mixing pulpy style Nazis, the Cthulhu Mythos and also a smattering of historical fact, it achieves a wonderfully atmospheric feel that should propel your players into their roles very well.

I will be reading the second book, Heroes of the Sea, shortly so lookout for a review of that one soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment